The Young Artist Competition (YAC) is held annually at Chancellor Baptist Church. This competition for aspiring students of classical instruments and voice provides them an opportunity to display their talent and be rewarded for it. Winners are invited to perform with the Avery Ballet and in a preconcert program at our annual Chamber Music Festival. The YAC Finals Concert welcomes the general public.
- All entrants must be capable of performing an orchestral solo.
- Entrants must be 18 years old or younger on the day of the Finals Competition and a resident of Planning District 16.
- The entrant’s teacher shall confirm on the application that the entrant is at a suitable level to participate in the Competition.
- Previous first place winners shall not be allowed to participate on the same instrument.
- Instrumental competition piece shall be a concerto or concert piece from standard repertoire.
- VOCAL COMPETITION PIECES SHALL BE FROM THE CLASSIC VOCAL REPERTOIRE INCLUDING OPERA AND MUSICAL THEATRE BUT NOT POP MUSIC.
- Suitable repertoire is at Instrumental Grade 4 and above or is listed in the "National Federation of Music Clubs Festival Bulletin" at the Difficult through Musically Advanced level.
- Compositions must last no longer than ten minutes. They do not need to be memorized.
- Prior to auditions, compositions will be screened to ensure appropriate performance level. Non-qualifying entrants will be denied participation and their entry fee returned.
- One copy of the performance piece shall be submitted with the application indicating exactly what will be performed. Three (3) additional copies of that music shall be submitted prior to the Preliminary Audition performance.
- Students will perform the same composition at the Preliminary Audition and the Finals Competition.
- Entrants will compete in one of 3 performance categories: Piano, Vocal, or Instrumental.
- If no one qualifies to be a Finalist in a category, an award will not be given for that category.
- When the composition includes accompaniment, the student must provide an accompanist at both the Preliminary Audition and the Finals Concert.
- Appropriate attire is required at the Preliminary Audition (i.e., no tennis shoes, flip flops, short skirts, low necklines or blue jeans). Formal attire is required for the Finals Competition.
- ArtsLIVE! reserves the right to cancel a competition category if there is not a sufficient number of qualified applicants.
- The Preliminary Audition will last approximately six (6) minutes. Contestants may be stopped during the audition when six minutes has elapsed although the full piece will be performed at the Finals Competition.
- Entrants will be judged on their musicianship, technical ability, and presentation displayed at the Preliminary Auditions and Finals Competition performances.
- The judges will provide written critique of each contestant in the Preliminary Auditions. These will be sent to each entrant prior to the Finals Competition.
Free Lance-Star Article: Students compete to be the best "Young Artists"
|2019:||First Place Pianist—Abigail Henriksen
First Place Instrumentalist—Abigail Leidy
First Place Instrumentalist—Corinna Sedelmayer
Second Place Instrumentalist—Noelle Fiegl
|2017:||First Place Piano—Philip Lambert, Piano
First Place Instrumental—Brianna Fiegl, Violin
Second Place Instrumental—Brendan Shirk, Oboe
Third Place Instrumental—Kelsey Payne, Violin
|2016:||First Place Instrumentalist—Melissa Snell
First Place Vocalist—Trevor White
Second Place—Philip Lambert
Third Place—Connor Skelly
|2015:||First Place Instrumentalist—Riana Chan
First Place Vocalist—Sophie Horn
Second Place—Philip Lambert
Third Place—Brendan Shirk
|2014:||First Place Instrumentalist—Luke Payne, cello
First Place Vocalist—Zoe Woodaman, soprano
Second Place—Brendan Shirk, oboe
Third Place—Andrew Liang, violin
|2013:||First Place Instrumentalist—Amy Wood, pianist
First Place Vocalist—Megan Walton, soprano
Second Place—Luke Payne, cellist
Third Place—Analisa Wall, soprano
|2012:||First Place Instrumentalist—Andrew Liang, pianist
First Place Vocalist—Jamie Hauber, soprano
Second Place—Chris Yang, pianist
Third Place—Luke Gray, violinist
|2011:||First Place Instrumentalist—Mark Turner, pianist
First Place Vocalist—Cherie Wehle, soprano
Second Place—Bethany Thompson, violinist
Third Place—Nicole Joshi, marimbaist
|2010:||First Place Instrumentalist—Jessica Stewart, flutist
First Place Vocalist—Hope Strayer, soprano
Second Place—Nathan Black, cellist
Third Place—Andrew Liang, pianist
|2009:||First Place—Ryan Feng, pianist
Second Place—John Callahan, pianist
Third Place—Christian Aldridge, violinist
|2008:||First Place—Chuhern Hwang, pianist
Second Place—Ryan Feng, pianist
Third Place—Christian Aldridge
|2007:||First Place—AnnaMarie Ignarro, clarinetist
Second Place—Dan Knowlton, marimbaist
Third Place—Chuhern Hwang, pianist
|2006:||First Place—Kana Zink, pianist
Second Place—Zachary Sanders, violinist
Third Place—Michael Konieczny, pianist
|2005:||First Place—Ahmed-Mehdi Najm, flutist
Second Place—Thomas Carr, pianist
Third Place—Devon Newburn, pianist
|2004:||First Place—Michael Konieczny, pianist
Second Place—Andrew McEvoy, guitarist
Third Place—Thomas Carr, pianist